Monday, September 17, 2012

Dear Blog: I Nurture



It seems so long ago that you needed me. But not that long ago. Long enough to miss the connection. But not long enough to forget the emotions. Your bright eyes playing a game with my own. Daring me to blink but forcing me to stare. Fingers tickled my face as you drank until your heart was content. Cheeks moved with purpose as I studied and caught the rhythm. Tracing the features of your face sketching every detail into my brain. Feeding you warmth and memories that I too would hold onto in the passing years. I blister... I shudder in discomfort. But nothing is more important than the in and out... in and out... in and out of your suckle. You needed me. And I needed you more I will admit. The twinkle in your eyes gave me light. The pressure of your grasp drove my motivation. My mind juggled you and my struggles and sometimes something would take me away from our moment. Then the tickle of your tiny fingers brought me back to you. In and out... in and out... in and out again. Our eyes met and they danced together. You took a small piece of my being away but I felt more fulfilled. We would shut the world out and created our own cloud to float on. No one else mattered or existed in that time. Time no longer existed. It was just us... swallowed up in love. If I had nothing else in my being to give you, I gave you my heart and my being. For you I loved... I fought... I shed my selfishness... I surrendered. For you I nurtured. 

~Elle

Breastfeeding is a beautiful connection between mother and child. It holds many benefits for not only the infant, but the mother as well. I was blessed to be able to give my daughter the gift of breastfeeding well over the recommended time frame. I strongly encourage others as well to at least try. My daughter is now 6 and remembers nursing. It's a very special bonding experience that I am happy to have experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment